About VNS Therapy
VNS Therapy is an approved treatment for people with depression and bipolar depression, who have not been helped enough by several traditional treatments. Traditional treatments may include medications, ketamin nasal spray, talk therapy, repetitive transmagnetic stimulation (rTMS) and electroconvulsive therapy (ECT).
- VNS Therapy uses a small device that is put under your skin just below your collarbone.
- A surgeon puts it in during a short outpatient procedure.
- Most people go home the same day.
How does VNS Therapy work?
- VNS Therapy works by sending out mild pulses to the vagus nerve in your neck.
- The vagus nerve is connected to areas of the brain associated with controlling the mood.
- From there, these pulses use the natural pathways in your body to travel up to your brain and help you feel better
VNS Therapy is not a drug.
It does not cause the same side effects as antidepressant medications
- Weight gain
- Dry mouth
It does not cause the same side effects as other medication-free treatments, like ECT and TMS
- Memory loss
- Poor concentration
Results with VNS Therapy get stronger over time
Results with VNS Therapy + traditional treatment are better than traditional treatment alone
Nearly 7 in 10 people significantly improved with VNS Therapy
More than 4 in 10 people fully or almost fully recovered
Patients receiving VNS Therapy with traditional treatments were 2X less likely to have suicidal thoughts than those using traditional treatments alone.
People who added VNS Therapy to their traditional treatments had sexual function scores that improved each year for 5 years. These scores generally worsened in patients receiving only traditional treatment.